Springwell SchoolAdministrative Assistant - 27.5 hrs pw
SO19 6DHClosing date: 1st Nov 2021 09:00 Salary range: From £12,721 to £14,227 per year We are excited to be recruiting for a professional Administrative Assistant to join our busy front office
Reception team who is able to provide a great first impression of the school.
Working at Springwell
Here at Springwell the Team are passionate and committed to improving opportunities for all SEND pupils. We strive continuously to improve the lives of our children, working closely with their families and carers to help them flourish both at home and at School.
Rated “Outstanding” by Ofsted in our last three inspections Springwell offers a great deal of opportunity for all staff. Whether office, site or class based support or teaching staff, we support each other, learn from each other, gaining experience and detailed knowledge of our children, to provide an effective and supporting environment and an atmosphere in which our children can feel safe, secure and progress at their own pace. We provide an outstanding and engaging education to meet their individual needs, giving them the best possible start to becoming independent and confident young people.
We are continuously looking at ways to improve even further; we encourage our staff to use their initiative, working together to improve all aspects of the School for our children and staff. We provide a wide variety of training opportunities and a chance to work in a supportive and caring environment. New teaching staff are paired with a mentor for the first year, together with an annual training and support package to develop proficient knowledge and understanding of the school and our pupils.
Applying for a job
To help you succeed in securing an interview with us we want to help you prepare your application. We will ensure you have the job description and person specification for each role and give you as much information as we can about the interview.
Each advert will include key dates and when to expect an interview, although the interview date can sometimes change with the pressures of school life!
How To Apply
- We do not accept just CV’s for any role that is open - Complete the application form, making sure you complete the correct one! There are two forms; one for teachers and the other for Special School Assistants and all other Business and Operations roles. - Do tailor your other relevant information section on the application form. We will be looking for your experience with examples against the key criteria outlined in the Person specification. - Ensure you complete the application in full
We aim to review all applications within the following week after the closing date. We are unable to accept late applications or let you know if you have not been selected for interview this time.
Read and complete the application in full ensuring all gaps in employment are accounted for. Tell us about you and your achievements. Keep a copy of your application form as we will ask you about what you have written
If you are successful we will invite you to a face-to-face interview. Depending on the role you have applied for you will also have an assessment
- Classroom based staff will have time in class where you will be observed as well as maybe a short written assessment, while Business and Operations staff may have an in-tray exercise to complete. Teachers will be expected to plan and lead a short lesson in class as well as a completing a written task.
You will be assessed against the key criteria on the job specification giving you the opportunity to give examples that demonstrate what we are looking for.
- Be prepared! There is a wealth of information on our website about the school, the children and the environment, take a look!
- Look at the job description and person specification to remind yourself of what we are looking for - Keep a copy of your application form to remind yourself of what you have told us
- Prepare examples of the skills you have demonstrated against our key criteria
- Find out where we are!
- Think of any questions for us - it’s your time to find out about us!
- Bring along your application form to refer to
- Ensure you bring with you all the documentation required which will be clearly laid out in your invite to interview letter
- Arrive a little bit earlier to relax, you are more than welcome to wait in our reception area
- Talk to all those on the panel
- Be yourself, if you think something is important – say it!
Students and Volunteers
Each academic year, we are able to offer a limited number of student and volunteer placements. We currently support Itchen College Childcare courses, City College Health and Social Care courses, the University of Southampton and CAMHS medical students as well as teaching placements linked to universities.
Springwell is unable to offer student, volunteer or work experience placements to pupils of school age due to the complexities of our children.
If you are interested in volunteering at Springwell you will need to either hold or be working towards a qualification in Education, Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, childcare or a related field. You should have good communication skills and be able to work as part of a team. In addition to this, it is essential that you hold a grade C or above in both GCSE Maths and English. You should be aware that we ask our volunteers to be flexible and support in classes across the school.
If you are interested in volunteering at Springwell School please click HERE.
After you have completed the contact sheet we will contact you within four weeks (excluding school holidays) if we feel that a volunteering placement at Springwell School may be suitable for you. We will request reference details and invite you to visit Springwell School where you will have the opportunity to meet with a Senior Leader and spend a short session in class. We will then evaluate if the placement is right for both parties.
If you are successful in gaining a volunteering placement we will then ask you to complete a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) and Occupational Health Check. Your volunteering placement will only commence once the checks have been completed and returned satisfactorily. Please be advised that the timeframe for this can be up to eight weeks. This is a legal requirement for anyone working or volunteering within a school and is intended to safeguard both parties.
Thank you for your interest in Springwell School.